Asbestos Roofing Worker
- Course Length Depends on Type of Worker
- Continuing Education: Class II Worker .7 CEU
OSHA regulates roofing removal under two separate parts of the asbestos construction standard (29 CFR 1926.1101(g)). In paragraphs 7-8 it is regulated as a Class II removal, but in paragraph 11 there are special provisions for incidental roofing removal, that is, roofing work involving only the removal of flashing.
OSHA (29 CFR 1926.1101(k)(9)) requires that Class II roofing removal must be conducted by persons with at least 8 hours of training and under the supervision of a trained competent person. A Class II Worker must have a minimum of 8 hours of training. However, for persons conducting incidental roofing removal, the amount of training is not spelled out in the standard. Thus, roofing workers who complete the Class II 8-hr training requirement can work on all roofing jobs, or the employer can provide a more limited training for workers who will only work on incidental roofing removal projects.
We can provide either level as a customized training. To properly quote the cost and length of training needed, we need to know which type of projects your workers will be conducting.
OSHA requires that all asbestos workers, including roofers, have annual refresher training, but the rules and guidance do not specify a length of training.
- The Institute training manual.
- In-class competency exam.
- The basics of asbestos, including its source, uses, physical properties, and health hazards
- Hands-on experience in removing asbestos-containing roofing materials.
- OSHA, EPA, and state requirements for asbestos-containing roofing materials, including the generated wastes
- Proper methods for working with asbestos-containing materials.
- Responsibilities of project workers/competent persons.