Asbestos Roofing Removal Supervisor
- Course Length Depends on Type of Supervisor
- Class II Supervisor 4.0 CEU
OSHA regulates roofing removal under two separate parts of the asbestos construction standard (29 CFR 1926.1101(g)). In paragraphs 7-8 it is regulated as a Class II removal, but in paragraph 11 there are special provisions for incidental roofing removal, that is, roofing work involving small amounts of asbestos-containing roofing removal.
OSHA (29 CFR 1926.1101(k)(9)) requires that Class II roofing removal must be conducted by persons with at least 8 hours of training and under the supervision of a trained competent person. A Class II competent person must have the equivalent of the 40-hr EPA Project Supervisor training. Similarly, persons conducting or supervising incidental roofing removal must be trained, but the amount of training is not spelled out in the standard.
Thus, roofing supervisors who complete the 40-hour Class II Project Supervisor training requirement can serve as OSHA competent person on all roofing jobs, or the employer can provide a more limited training for supervisors who will only work on incidental roofing removal projects.
We provide the 40-hour Project Supervisor on a regular basis, and we can provide either level of training as a customized course. To properly quote the cost and length of training needed, we need to know which type of projects your employees will be conducting.
OSHA mandates annual refresher training for both types of competent persons. For the Class II supervisor, the 8-hr Project Supervisor Refresher class is required; for incidental removal no training hours are stated in the rule.
Project Supervisor (Class II) Participants Receive
- The Institute training manual.
- The Institute Compendium of Asbestos Removal Rules
- The basics of asbestos, including its source, uses, physical properties, and health hazards
- Hands-on experience in removing asbestos-containing roofing materials.
- OSHA, EPA, and state requirements for asbestos-containing roofing materials, including the generated wastes
- Proper methods for working with asbestos-containing materials.
- Responsibilities of project supervisors/competent persons.