Asbestos Flooring Removal Worker
- 1 hours
- Continuing Education: 0.7 CEU
OSHA (29 CFR 1926.1101(k)(2) requires that all resilient floor covering (such as asphalt tile, vinyl tile, asphalt sheet flooring, or vinyl sheet flooring) installed prior to January 1, 1981, must be presumed to be an asbestos-containing material (ACM) unless the facility owner or employer has the flooring analyzed to show that it is not ACM. OSHA (29 CFR 1926.1101(k)(9)) requires that removal of all known or presumed ACM resilient floor covering be conducted by persons with at least 8 hours of training and under the supervision of a trained competent person. Furthermore, the work must be done according to the methods established by the Resilient Floor Covering Institute or by equivalent methods.
Employers are required to provide annual refresher training for flooring workers, but no hours are specified in the rule.
- The Institute training manual.
- The RFCI manual for the removal of floor tile.
- Hands-on experience in removing resilient floor covering.
- The basics of asbestos, including its source, uses, physical properties, and health hazards.
- OSHA, EPA, and state requirements for managing resilient floor covering, including the generated wastes.
- Proper methods (including the RFCI procedures) for working with asbestos-containing materials.